Friday, May 21, 2010

First Day Covers - Postcard Friendship Friday


Grandma G. collected stamps.
Not just any stamps, but First Day Covers.
Or FDC's.


I was going through some of her papers the other day,
and found the stash ...


Probably 100 FDC's -
Mostly regular envelopes.


But a whole bunch of them were these postcards.


The sad part is ... they were not addressed to anybody.
Beautiful, but useless.
Well, to me.
Because I love the stories told on postcards,
even just the "to" and "from" part.

Postcards are more than just canceled stamps, in my opinion.
They are art, they are beauty,
they are HISTORY.
They are real people,
They are emotions long forgotten; now remembered.

Don't get me wrong, I really like these FDC's,
Maybe someday I'll donate them to someone's collection.

But I like the other ones a little better.

To see beautiful and nostalgic postcards from around the world, please visit Beth at her wonderful blog "The Best Hearts Are Crunchy" - and join in on Postcard Friendship Friday!!!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that, Sissy--I was putting something for Mums in her blog and forgot where I was. lol

    What I was saying is that these stamped stamps are wonderful. They are probably quite valuable to stamp collectors!!!

    Happy PFF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy PFF! Stamp collectors like them without the address. They also prefer them with special cachet envelopes, but even most of those are not worth much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm a total newby (plus more interested in postcards than stamps!). But the whole concept of FDC's is fascinating - I'd never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Postcards !!Loved them all !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes these are collectible - but I agree with you, I like the message, even if it is just " I will send a letter soon".
    Happy PFF.

    ReplyDelete