High on a bluff in Washington State, overlooking the mighty Columbia River and Oregon on the other side ... this amazing art museum has a wonderful, but sad, history.
The museum is housed in a grand mansion, built (1907) on over 6,000 acres of property owned by Sam Hill, a wealthy businessman and Quaker pacifist who planned on founding a Quaker agricultural community on the estate. The project received its name from his adored daughter, Mary Hill. His fondest wish was that his family would live here.
Unfortunately, his wife hated the area - and Mr. Hill realized she would never live there. He gave up his dream. He agreed that it should become a museum of art.
In 1926 the museum of art was dedicated.
Even then, problems surrounded the estate, mostly involving irrigation and location.
The museum finally opened to the general public in 1940.
Unfortunately, Samuel Hill passed away in 1931, and never saw this final triumph.
“Sometimes the things dreamers do seem incomprehensible to others,
and the world wonders why dreamers do not see the way others do”
— Queen Marie of Romania
at the dedication of the unfinished Maryhill Museum of Art, 1926